If you have wood furniture that has a wax build-up, you’ll need to strip the wax off before you can refinish the piece. Stripping wax off of wood furniture is a messy and time-consuming job, but it’s important to do if you want to achieve a smooth, even finish. Here’s how to strip wax off of wood furniture:
1. First, remove any hardware from the piece of furniture. This includes knobs, handles, and hinges.
2. Next, set up your work area. You’ll need plenty of ventilation, so open windows and doors if possible. Cover the floor with drop cloths or old sheets to protect against drips and spills.
3. Next, make a paste out of equal parts baking soda and water.
4. Spread the paste onto the wax build-up with a clean, dry cloth.
5. Allow the paste to sit for 10-15 minutes.
6. Next, use a putty knife or scraper to remove the wax paste.
7. Finally, clean the area with a damp cloth and allow it to dry completely before refinishing.
Stripping Wax from Wood Furniture
If your wood furniture has a wax build-up, it can be stripped using a few simple household ingredients.
First, start by heating up the wax. This can be done with a hair dryer, or by placing a towel over the wax and using an iron on the medium setting.
Once the wax is melted, use a putty knife or an old credit card to scrape off as much of the wax as possible.
Next, make a paste out of 1 part white vinegar and 1 part baking soda. Rub the paste into the wax residue with a soft cloth, working in small circular motions.
Rinse the area with a damp cloth to remove the paste.
If any wax residue remains, repeat the above steps until it is all removed.
To strip wax off wood furniture, you will need to first sand the piece of furniture to rough up the surface. Then, using a paint stripper, apply the stripper to the furniture and let it sit for the recommended amount of time. After the stripper has had time to work, use a putty knife or another scraping tool to remove the stripper and wax from the furniture. Finally, sand the piece of furniture again to remove any residual wax and stripper.